Friday, May 30, 2008

Swap-O-Rama-Rama in Los Angeles!

Mark your calendars for Saturday, June 28th because Swap-O-Rama-Rama is back in LA for the second time! What is SORR you ask? Basically it's a huge clothing swap which encourages creative reuse of recycled clothes. First, clean out your closets and come to SORR with a bag of clothes you don't need anymore. All of the clothing for recycling is sorted into piles by volunteers and then you get to search for new clothes to take home. We'll have DIY stations set up for specific projects as well as sewing stations run by clothing designers who will help you alter and refashion your clothing picks to create something new. It's only $5 if you bring a bag of clothes and $10 if you don't and you get to leave with all the clothes you can carry!

Lori from Hip Line Media is producing the event again this year, this time with the help of AfterCraft, a newly formed group of crafters focusing on recycled and upcycled crafting. (That's where Four Idle Hands comes in!) Swap-O-Rama-Rama is a non-profit organization and all events are run by volunteers. We're still looking for help for the June 28th event so please email Lori if you can help.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. This looks like fun. I'm all for UPCYCLING. Have you made some clothing this way? It makes me think of Pretty in Pink where Molly Ringwald made her pom dress from used clothing. Is that the same idea at SORR?

Donna said...

OMG I forgot about that part in Pretty in Pink!! bwa ha ha ha ha Yes, it's the same idea! We need to make Molly Ringwald the poster girl for SORR!

I haven't personally made new clothes this way, and I haven't had a chance to get help from the designers at a Swap because I was running my booth during the last one. I *have* been working on my sewing skills but I've yet to tackle clothes. I think I'll be silkscreening this time, so, uh, no, no clothes for me. ha ha